Thursday, March 15, 2012

Corned Beef & Cabbage


St. Paddy's Day is upon us once again. If only our kids were as excited about Corned Beef & Cabbage as Scott and I! I changed up the veggies this year and made a sweet little mustard sauce that was delicious! Due to other plans on the actual St. Patrick's Day, we had to feast on this traditional favorite a few days early! Okay by me... I'm hoping this Irish dish will bring me some much needed "luck" for WOD 12.4 tomorrow! Lucky wall balls. Really lucky double unders and (if I'm really really lucky) I'll get to do some lucky muscle ups!

Recipe:
3-4 lb. corned beef brisket
(I trimmed the thick layer of fat from the brisket after it cooked all day)
water, enough to just cover beef
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic
ground black pepper
sea salt
water

Put corned beef (fat side up), pepper, garlic, bay leaves in crock pot and pour just enough water to cover beef. Cook on low for 8 hours. The fat is easy to remove after its cooked, just scoop it off the top of the meat!

I cooked the cabbage and vegetables separately after I got home. ... about 30 minutes before serving. I tried some new veggies this year: rutabaga and parsnips! ...And they were great!

1 head cabbage, quartered
1 onion, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic
2 parsnips, sliced
1 rutabaga, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
~1/2 C corned beef juice from the crock pot!

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add rutabaga, parsnips and broth. Cover and cook until rutabaga is fork tender. Add cabbage and a little more broth, if needed. Cook until cabbage is done about 10-15 minutes.
Slice corned beef and serve with the cabbage and veggies!

OH... don't forget the Mustard Sauce:
1/2 C stone ground mustard
2 T 100% organic maple syrup
1 T raw horseradish cream
Mix ingredients together and spoon over corned beef!

Enjoy and may the Luck O' The Irish be with you!

No comments:


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central