Thursday, February 11, 2010

Isabel's Scallops with Bacon

This is a dish I have been envisioning in my head for a few weeks now. Tonight I took the daring plunge and tested it out on my family. I am very happy to report that it was a hit! My kids asked me what it was called... ? I had no response! Scott suggested I call it "Isabel" after today's CrossFit WOD. That worked for me! It's a lot easier to devour 30 small scallops for dinner, than it is to complete 30 snatches for time!
So, I hope you get a chance to enjoy Isabel... both in the gym and on your plate!! :-)

Recipe:
Scallops, 1 pound (I used wild bay scallops 40-60 count from Trader Joe's)
1/2 sweet yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 T fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
3 strips bacon
spinach, about 12 cups raw (or about 9 oz.)
4 tsp. olive oil
fresh ground black pepper

Cook bacon strips and set aside. In 2 tsp. olive oil, saute onion. When onion is translucent, add garlic and red bell pepper. Remove to a dish, and set aside. In same skillet, and another tsp. olive oil and saute scallops. While scallops are cooking, saute spinach in another pan with about 2 tsp olive oil. Add the onion-pepper mixture back to scallops, and then add parsley and bacon pieces, too. Cook a tad more. Put cooked spinach on a plate, and top with the scallops! Add a little fresh ground pepper, if desired.
This was pretty easy to prepare, and turned out quite tasty!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh yum, this looks delish - I am definitely going to try this out next week, thank you!

Miriam said...

Neile, can we please make this dish when I get back from A2? It looks AMAZING!!!


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central