Monday, January 18, 2010

Paleo Garlic Chicken



Whoa! Today's WOD was great (in a tortuous, lovely, awful, fun sort of way)! The kind of WOD you feel coursing through your veins all day long! So... I thought I would counter-act with garlic!? This was a very flavorful and yummy meal! Just make sure you are not the only one partaking... It's pretty garlicky... and not meant to be eaten alone! But, we all enjoyed it!
Maybe tomorrow's CrossFit class will be the ones to suffer the repercussions of the garlic!? I apologize in advance! :-)

Ingredients:
4 boneless-skinless chicken breasts, pounded and cut in half
25 whole cloves of garlic (yes, twenty-five! ... Well, more or less) :-)
1/2 C white wine
1/4 C low fat coconut milk
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 T fresh Italian parsley, chopped
garlic powder
ground black pepper
paprika
1 T olive oil
celtic grey sea salt (totally optional)

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat. After pounding chicken breasts, sprinkle seasonings over breasts. Brown for about 3-5 minutes on both sides. Place chicken breasts in baking dish (sprayed with some olive oil cooking spray). Add whole garlic cloves over chicken pieces. Sprinkle a tad of celtic grey sea salt over the top! In a separate bowl, combine wine, coconut milk, lemon juice, and parsley. Pour over the top of the chicken and bake at 350 degree oven (covered) for about 25 minutes! Makes about 6 servings.
Zone blocks: 3 F, 3 P, 1 C
I served this with a green salad and steamed asparagus to balance out blocks!
Hope you enjoy! :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great - just one question - the ingredients list states Coconut Milk but the directions state Lemon Juice. which is preferred?

Kelly Greco said...

Wooops. Sorry about that. I used both! I added 2 tsp. lemon juice to the wine, and coconut milk mixture.
Thanks for catching that! :-)

Narine CFSV said...

Looks Yummy. Can you taste the coconut or is it overpowered by the garlic?

Kelly Greco said...

Hi Narine!
You can't really taste the coconut milk at all, it just gives the dish a slightly creamy texture! The garlic takes care of everything! Haha ... not really. Cooked this way, the garlic was actually pretty mild tasting! Garlicky, but not too potent! I tested it out at CrossFit today. Katie was my partner, and I didn't scare her away! :-)
Thanks for posting!

Becca said...

I'm enjoying your food blog and I made a couple dishes, which were delicious! Unfortunately, each time I make something with coconut milk, my daughter gets hives. (Nursing). Can I substitute almond milk for coconut milk?

Plus two more questions:
- Can I buy pro zone protein powder locally? (I'm in the south bay)
- Would paleo cookies be considered a "cheat treat?"

Thanks!

Kelly Greco said...

Hi Becca! Thanks for checking out the site! Great questions! First, YES, almond milk is just fine, but be careful. If coconut milk is causing issues, almond milk might, too. In this particular recipe, chicken broth would be a fine substitute as well!
Second, I get my pro zone at whole foods, or at GNC.
And Lastly, the paleo cookie... and my favorite question! If you are practicing Paleolithic eating, then NO, it's not a cheat because all ingredients are within the guidelines. BUT, having said that, it is still something that is not meant to be consumed on a regular or abundant basis! Agave was occasional and seasonal for our primal ancestors! Moderation is still key! :-)

Becca said...

Thanks!

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you literally get rid of fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from large medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central