Monday, February 14, 2011

Paleo Butternut Squash Soup

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

This recipe was sent to me by our lovely, new mommy, Whitney. I have to thank her... and apologize to her at the same time, because I kind of changed the recipe up a bit. Some alterations were intentional in order to keep it within Paleo boundaries, the other modifications were accidental! I failed to read the recipe in its entirety and consequently ended up with this post! It turned out VERY good! But I promise I will follow the recipe closer next time! This recipe is adapted from the Food Network Kitchens, under Butternut Squash Soup.
Perfect for a rainy Valentine's dinner! Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
3 T olive oil
2 lbs. ground pork sausage
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T ground sage
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and diced (hardest part of the whole meal was cutting this up)... But they do sell pre-cut/peeled butternut squash for a time-saving option!
4 C organic chicken broth
1 tsp. coconut vinegar

Recipe:
Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, sage, salt and pepper. Add sausage and cook until crumbly. Cover and cook until fragrant and soft. Add Tomatoes and cook for about 10 more minutes. Add the squash and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered until vegetables are tenter, about 20 minutes or so. Stir in the vinegar last. Mix well! Serve in some soup bowls and top with chives, if desired, and enjoy!

4 comments:

Corene said...

Hi Kelly! I train at CrossFit Littleton in Colorado, and am absolutely loving your recipes! With your permission, I would like to share some of them with the members at our gym. I will certainly give you ALL the credit! Thanks!

Kelly Greco said...

Absolutely, Corene! I would love it. Thank you! ... and I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,

Though I no longer get to Crossfit, I visit your blog on a regular basis. Made this for lunch yesterday and my husband loved it so much, he had it again for breakfast this morning!

Thanks for all the great recipes. Give the gang at CFSCC my love.

Dolly

Kelly Greco said...

Thank you Dolly!!! I can assure you... we ALL miss you tons at CFSCC. Thanks for visiting Eat This and sampling the recipes! :-)


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central