Thursday, November 18, 2010

Crock Pot Tri-Tip

This was another easy dinner (almost embarrassingly easy). Got a crock pot? Got a tri-tip? Got an onion and some wine? .... Guess what?... You got dinner!!!
I literally threw the tir-tip (fat side down) in the crock pot this morning on the way to work.
It was a hit with the family... and I enjoyed a low-maintenance evening... Ahhhhhh, nice.

Recipe:
Tri-tip, 2-3 lbs.
1 yellow onion, sliced chunky
5 garlic cloves, slightly crushed and halved
3/4 C broth (chicken or beef)... preferably organic, low sodium
3/4 C red wine
1 T Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. black pepper
pinch sea salt (optional)

Place tri-tip in the crock pot. Cover with onion and spices. Pour wine and broth over the top. Cover and cook on low for about 7 hours... Done! :-)

I served this with a side of cauliflower rice. I just shredded the cauliflower in my cuisinart. Season with a little olive oil (1 T), black pepper and chives (or any spices you choose). Put in a bowl, cover with seran wrap, and microwaved for a few minutes on the vegetable setting. Quick and easy, too! I LOVE cauliflower rice.

Hope you enjoy this easy winter time-saver!


5 comments:

Chef Jay said...

Maybe adding up some salsa from my own canning salsa recipes might be a good match for this. Hmm.. Can't wait to try this one out!

Anonymous said...

is ther a substitution for red wine that would work?

Kelly Greco said...

Beef or chicken broth is a great substitute for the red wine! :-)

Anonymous said...

This didn't work so well for me. My family said it was "tasteless" and the garlic overpowered the whole dish. It needed a good deal of salt but still wasn't right. Maybe using Herbes de Provence for the Italian seasonings (all I had) screwed it up?

Kati said...

Herbs are such a personal thing. I pulled out my italian hers, and I just don't like them. So I am using a basil rosemary sage blend that i have on hand, and it smells so much better to me. I upped the juices, as I have a 5-6 lb tri tip and I added salt - my broth is not very salty. I am looking forward to this later today. Thanks.


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central