Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Paleo Pumpkin Bread

I have always LOVED pumpkin bread.... My whole life! This was an incredible treat to create a Paleo version! It absolutely hit the spot. However, there is room for improvement... So I might continue to perfect and tweak this recipe. Suggestions welcomed! Hope you give it a try. Enjoy!
And PLEASE have a very Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you surround yourselves with friends and family! :-)

Recipe:
1- 15oz can pumpkin
2C coconut flour
1 C arrowroot powder
1/2 C honey
1/2 C walnut oil
4 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch cloves

topping (optional):
1 T pecans, finely chopped
1 T coconut crystals

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs together. Add honey, walnut oil and vanilla to eggs. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a loaf pan. Combine coconut crystals and pecans together. Crumble over the top of the loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Bread is done when tooth pic or skewer comes out clean! Enjoy!

This was delicious... I thought it turned out more like a cake! Next time I would use less pumpkin (perhaps only a cup). It was very dense and cake-like. But I still totally enjoyed it!
There is definitely room for tweaking... and suggestions totally welcome!!! :-)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

rabillyI make pumpkin muffins and it calls for almond flour (meal) and coconut flour. I find that all coconut flour makes baked things to dry. My muffins are nice and moist, so you might try that. The ratio is 2 cups almond flour to 1/3 cup of coconut flour. You might try adding a 1/4 cup roast nuts also, maybe pecan or walnut. Definitely roast first to bring out the flavour. Good luck

Anonymous said...

Instead of using the suggested topping, I coated the top with honey and sprinkled cinnamon and nutmeg on top.

This was a great way to help my craving for pumpkin pie!

Anonymous said...

Canned pumpkin! What's wrong with real fresh pumkin


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central