Monday, September 27, 2010

Burger on a Portobello Bun

I was desperately in the mood for a good old juicy hamburger tonight! When a craving like that hits, you have to just go for it! I knew my family wouldn't mind. In fact, the kids were thrilled! I've been skimming around Robb Wolf's new book, The Paleo Solution, and noticed he used a Portobello mushroom cap in place of the bun on one of his burger recipes. I thought that sounded like an excellent idea! I also felt obliged to serve tonight's dinned with some baked sweet potato rounds and a large crisp green salad! Everything was delicious and it completely hit the spot! But let me warn you... this burger was particularly filling! Wow, that portobello, as delicious as it was, makes for one hearty burger! Hope you enjoy!

Recipe:
2 lbs burger (preferably grass fed beef)
Season burger with spices of your choice...
I used, garlic powder, dried oregano, and black pepper
portobello mushroom caps
olive oil

Mix seasoning with ground beef and form hamburger patties. Rub a little olive oil on portobello mushroom and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper (optional). Grill burgers to desired doneness. Grill portobellos just enough to heat through. Place hamburger patty on top of the mushroom cap. Top with a sliced tomato, lettuce, spicy brown mustard, onions or avocado... basically whatever you like, and ENJOY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, using a portabella mushroom for the bun. These were tasty! Thanks for sharing.


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central