Monday, January 5, 2009

White Bean and Prosciutto Soup

Because of the small amount of prosciutto in this soup I did not substitute it out. However, I think the next time I make it I will try it with grilled chicken. Having said that, I highly recommend trying this one! In a large stock pot add 2 tsp olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add 2 oz chopped prosciutto and saute for about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chopped onions, 3/4 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup sliced carrots, 2 cloves of minced garlic. Saute all ingredients until soft. Add 2 cans cannellini beans (undrained), 1 cup water, 2 bay leaves, 1 can chicken broth (15 oz). Bring soup to a boil and lower to simmer for about 35-40 minutes. This makes 4 servings that are about 2 blocks each. Serve with a salad to balance. Post thoughts to comments.

5 comments:

~mel~ said...

I just want to say a big "thank you" for making these recipes available. in the past, i saw workshops posted at cfscc for zone eating. any plans to have another one any time soon?

Mike Molloy said...

Just wanted to second the "thank you" I've been implementing zone eating for about 10 days now and this site is such a valuable resource for creative cooking ideas

michele said...

Mel and Mike-
Thanks for the "thanks" and I am so glad to hear the site is helping!
Mel- I am planning on another Zone clinic in February but I am unsure of which day exactly. I will post it as soon as I know.

Thanks again guys!
Michele

Unknown said...

That soup looks oh so tasty, Michelle...

Being a complete buffoon in the kitchen, here's my version for a quick 2-block snack:

1 cup of Trader Joe's "Organic Butternut Squash Soup" (it comes in one of those soymilk boxes) 2 blocks carb

1 chicken apple sausage, precooked, 2 blocks protein

Microwave the sausage for 1 minute to give it a headstart. Then cut it into pieces, drop it into the soup, and microwave for another minute or two, depending on your microwave. Follow with a few almonds or peanuts for fat.

Kinda nice on a cold afternoon...

michele said...

Arturo-

Thanks for passing along the 2 blocker! Always looking to share good ideas. I will have to try that one now that it is FREEZING here...well...at least by West Coast standards!


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central