Monday, March 29, 2010

Kale with Caramelized Onions & Sun Dried Tomatoes




This recipe was recommended to me by Rachel Frankl of Santa Cruz CrossFit Central! I finally bought some kale and sun-dried tomatoes, and gave it a try. Oh wow... what a delicious side dish! So good, I think I'll be making it on a regular basis. I meant to toast some pine nuts to sprinkle on top, but I forgot! ... next time. Yum. :-)
Thank you Rachel!!!

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale, thick stems removed, ripped into large pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 6oz jar sun dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil, coarsely chopped
1 tsp. olive oil
Splash (about 1/8 C) chicken broth (low sodium) or water
2 T pine nuts, toasted

In a saute pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onions start to caramelize, add a little water or broth. Add kale. Cover and cook until kale cooks down (about 10 minutes). Add sun dried tomatoes, mix well. Top with toasted pine nuts and serve!

We enjoyed this with a peppered tri tip roast (post from 11/3/09) and sliced sweet potatoes.
Hope you enjoy!
Thanks again, Rachel.

P.S. I love getting new recipes to try!


2 comments:

Miriam said...

good grief this looks tasty. we will try this soon!!

Faith G. said...

Kelly,

I have been following your blog since August 2009 from Crossfit Victrix in Roseville, CA. I just made the Kale side dish and OH MY IT WAS AMAZING! I usually stay away from kale, but this was fantastic! Keep up the good work!

~Faith


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central