Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spice Rubbed Flank Steak

This is one of our favorite steaks! We usually grill it, but the weather has been so bad, I decided to try it indoors. I think the trick is high heat, for a short amount of time... really lock in that flavor and moisture! I used my trusty, much loved, cast iron pan!!! The meat I bought at costco (great price)... I froze the other half, and I'll just keep waiting (anxiously) for spring, when I'll be able to grill that other half!
Here's hoping spring is just around the corner! :-)

Recipe:
2 lbs Flank Steak
1 T olive oil

Rub ingredients:
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt (optional)
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
dash cinnamon
dash ground cloves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat both sides of flank steak with rub ingredients (really rub the spices into the meat) and let sit at room temperature for about 2o minutes. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil to med-hi temp, when oil is hot, grill flank steak for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat. Then place entire cast iron skillet in oven for an additional 4 minutes (until flank steak is done, or to desired doneness). Scott likes his steak on the pink side... I like mine a little more well done. But don't leave it in too long!
Serve over a bed of spinach. We also served this with a few slices of baked Japanese yams, and sweet potatoes, as well as our usual side salad. Hope you enjoy! :-)

*I'm so excited that the Paleo/zone challenge is underway! We are getting another great turnout! If you're still thinking about it... you still have time! Get to the gym and sign up!
And to those who are on board... congratulations on making this 3 month commitment! You will not be sorry! Post thoughts, questions, and/or concerns to comments!!!

No comments:


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central