Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wild Mushroom, Sausage & Leek Soup - Paleo!

Will this rainy weather ever end? This is "sunny California"!!! I guess I'll just keep thinking of comforting soups until it does! I hope you like mushrooms, because this is a bit of a fungi feast! I made this in the crock pot, and I can't tell you how wonderful this was to come home to after tonight's 7 pm CrossFit Wod! I was cold and tired and had just about enough energy left to ladle the soup into my bowl. (I'm a little worried how my arms are going to feel tomorrow). :-) With a little soup on the menu, we can make it through this Winter. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground sausage
1 sweet yellow onion
1 C chopped white button mushrooms
1 C coarsely chopped portobello mushrooms
1 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms (rehydrate before adding to soup)
1 carrot, sliced
2 leeks, chopped
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
2 tsp. olive oil
4 C beef broth (low sodium)
2 C water
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 C chopped fresh Italian parsley (add about 15 minutes prior to serving)

In a saute pan, brown ground sausage. Put in crock pot. In the same pan, add 1 tsp. olive oil and saute onions and carrots. When onions are translucent, add to crock pot. Add another tsp olive oil to pan and saute leeks, and the white button and portobello mushrooms. Saute for about another 3-5 minutes, then add to crock pot. Add broth, water, fresh thyme, black pepper, and shiitake mushrooms. Cook on low for about 3-4 hours. About 15 minutes before serving, add the fresh parsley. Pure comfort! Enjoy...

No comments:


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central