Monday, October 27, 2008

Zoned Meatloaf

I use ground turkey for meatloaf, because 1 1/2 ounces is equal to a block of protein. You can use ground beef, or a combination but make sure you adjust your portion size accordingly.
Zoned Meatloaf- 1 pound ground turkey, 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes, 2 TB Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 slices of Orowheat Light bread (crusts cut off) broken into small pieces, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
Zoned Meatloaf- 3 blocks
3 1/2 oz meatloaf (3 1/2 blocks protein/ 1 block fat)
1 1/2 cups broccoli and cauliflower (1/2 block carbs)
2 cups mixed green salad with kidney beans, hard boiled egg, pecans and olive oil dressing (2 blocks carbs, 2 blocks fat)
Post thoughts to comments.

5 comments:

Jonny V. said...

OK people, I had a *very* successful first night:

5 block dinner:

5 oz. roasted chicken

3 block salad consisting of:
6 cups lettuce (1 bl)
2 cups raw cauliflower (1 bl)
2 tbs. balsamic vinegar (1 bl)
1 2/3 tsp. olive oil (5 bl)

1 apple (2 bl)

The meatloaf looks great. Can't wait to try!

michele said...

Looks good Jon! You will like the meatloaf because you can have quite a bit. Remember it is 1 1/2 oz per block! Let me know if I can be of any help and keep up the good work!
Michele

Jonny V. said...

Meatloaf . . . shouldn't it be 4.5 oz for 3 blocks? Post says 3.5. Just wondering.

OK Michelle . . . 2nd day and I am already going off the wagon. I am being dragged to a restaurant by people from work, and there is no telling what evil awaits me there. I will be conscious, conscious, conscious though, and will NOT partake in any bread. Will report on the damage in the morning. Have had a perfect day so far though.

michele said...

Jon-
You are correct about the meatloaf, but the salad had eggs in it and I wanted to adjust for the extra protein. Thanks for looking out though.

Good luck with the temptations and remember at restaurants...LOTS of salad!!!

Jonny V. said...

Oh! I did see the eggs but didn't put 2 and 2 together -- sorry, that makes sense.

Lots and lots of salad at restaurants -- that is a great, great tip. If only I had read it before I went. Dinner wound up being pork chop, carrots, and mashed potatoes. Not the best to be sure, but at least I stayed away from the mac and cheese (tempting) and the pastas. The portion actually looked surprisingly "zone," with loads of extra fat in the mash, of course.

Anyway, I am back on track today, started with a 4-block breakfast, and will report again later.


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central