Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Paleo Chili

Finally, I get to post! Four people in this house fighting for one computer. One book report, one heritage report, and one husband wanting to check Facebook! :)

Chili for dinner! I love chili and my family loves chili, but without beans, I've been reluctant to make it. Well, I'll tell you what... this was good!
I am so happy to have found some satisfying paleo versions of my old favorites!
Ingredients:
2 lbs. lean stew meat
1/2 C almond meal
4 tsp. olive oil
2 T Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground pepper
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow or red bell pepper
1/2 C red wine
15 oz. can dice tomatoes, no salt
8 oz. can tomato sauce, no salt
4 oz. can diced green chillies
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Water
Green onions
Italian parsley

Trim fat off stew meat and cut in small bite-sized pieces. I used a zip lock bag to combine almond meal, italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground pepper. I added meat pieces to bag and shook until well coated. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in large pot and brown some of the meat. I browned meat in batches until all was browned, and continued to add a little olive oil as needed. Remove meat onto a separated plate as each batch is browned. When finished, deglaze pan with some of the red wine. Saute the diced onion and garlic. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and diced chilies. Add back the meat, and all other ingredients, and spices. Bring to a boil and then simmer until ready to serve. Add a little extra water if needed to get to desired consistency. Spoon into a bowl and top with some diced green onions and chopped flat-leaf italian parsley. This was meaty and thick... two things I was going for!
Hope you enjoy!

7 comments:

Chris said...

I've used a pressure cooker for stews and chili to reduce the cooking time. This recipe looks great. Thanks for sharing it.

Katie said...

Just a suggestion, you could also add more veggies such as mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, etc. Sort of along the veggie chili line, but with wonderful wonderful meat!

Anonymous said...

Veggie's and chile do not mix...

mrsmommyb said...

Kelly- I made a Paleo Pumpkin Pie which I posted on my blog. Did you have any recipes in the past for one? Or pumpkin cookies or bread? I still have left over pumpkin puree.

Kelly Greco said...

Katie, YES veggies would be a great addition to the chili. I purposely kept this simple and meaty for one reason only... my husband (Mr. Anonymous). :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Sakura... your pumpkin pie looks amazing! I wish I had other pumpkin recipes! I hope to work on some, too. 'tis the season! :-)

Chris said...

Pumpkin puree makes great breakfast smoothies. Add an equal measure of egg whites or a couple TBLSP protein powder. Pie spices like cinnamon, ginger and mace. Balance out with a little olive oil or coconut milk. Blend.

And pumpkin soup!

Kelly Greco said...

Chris... that sounds yummy! Thanks! :)


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central