Monday, October 12, 2009

Roast Chicken in the Crock Pot

My crock pot has been working over time... and I love it! I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out. I've never done a whole chicken in the crock pot! I'm happy to say, it was post worthy... and a family hit!

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, gizzards etc. removed
1/2 butternut squash, cubed (about 3 cups)
carrots, sliced thick (about 1 cup)
celery, sliced with some of the greens included! (about 1 1/2 cups)
5-6 garlic cloves, left whole
1 sweet yellow onion, sliced thick
dried thyme leaves
ground pepper
paprika
1 bay leaf

Clean chicken, pat dry and add to crock pot. Add all other ingredients and nestle around chicken. Sprinkle thyme leaves, ground pepper and paprika over chicken. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, and then turn down to low for another 2-3 hours. It makes it's own wonderful juice! No need to add liquid. When you're ready to eat, carefully remove chicken from pot (if you can)... It may just fall apart. Serve chicken pieces along side stewed vegetables, and top with some juice from the pot!
I'm actually going to use the leftover juice for another soup! 'Tis the season, and there's a storm coming in...
3 oz chicken with about 1 1/2 cup stewed veggies is about a 3 block paleo meal. I removed the skin on mine, to keep it lean. Hope you enjoy & stay warm and dry!


3 comments:

neile said...

I just got really hungry reading this! Wow!!

Unknown said...

I had to go out and purchase a FR chicken today! Can't wait to cook it up!

Anonymous said...

I've read that cooking whole chickens in the crockpot can be iffy because sometimes the internal temperature is not hot enough for long enough. Same with thick cuts of meat. So use a meat thermometer just to check!


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central