Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Classic

Meatloaf is an easy, tasty family favorite in my house. There are many different versions of Zone meatloaf out there (Zone website, books etc...) but even a family recipe can be modified easily with a few simple changes. Using ground turkey instead of beef, pork or veal is a great first step. Ground turkey takes on the flavor of whatever you are cooking and is a much leaner type of meat. Cut the bread in half in whatever recipe you are using, and make sure you are using a whole grain bread ( I also soak mine in milk to make blending easier).
Turkey Meatloaf with Greens- 3 blocks
3 oz turkey meatloaf (2 blocks protein)
1 cup green beans (1 block carb)
2 cups spinach salad with egg, black beans and olive oil dressing(1 block carb/ 3 blocks fat/ 1 block protein)
Post thoughts to comments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been stumped for dinner ideas and recipes. This is perfect! I just bought a bunch of turkey meat at costco and was wondering what to do with it. That spinach salad looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Mines cooking now! I agree, the salad looks yummy!
Michele-One recipe I found called for oats as opposed to bread crumbs (with the same soak in skim milk idea). What do ya think?
Kelly-I was wondering when you were going to ask about the wine (Aldo's post). My little wine loving friend!

michele said...

Katie,

I have not tried oats, but if you do let me know how it works!

Anonymous said...

Oats are a great substitute for bread, and they contain lots of fiber! Just soften them some with a little warm water before adding.


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central