Monday, July 21, 2008

A Little Tex-Mex

I found this recipe in a magazine and made a few simple changes to make it zone friendly. It was really good and very quick to put together. You can pair this with any carb you like, but the bread in this is 2 carbs so try and make it a carb that you can have quite a bit of to make your meal more satisfying. I mixed 1 pound ground turkey, 1 tbl olive oil, 1 tbl chipoltle sauce, salt and pepper. Make 4 hamburger patties and grill 4-5 minutes each side. Melt 1 slice pepper jack cheese on each patty and serve topped with salsa.
Tex-Mex Turkey Burgers-
1 3oz turkey burger (2 blocks protein)
1 slice pepper jack cheese (2 blocks fat)(3rd block of fat comes from the olive oil in burgers)
1 slice whole grain bread or 1/2 roll of you liking (2 blocks carb)
2 1/2 cups broccoli and cauliflower (1 block carb)
Post thoughts to comments.

4 comments:

Send513 said...

Michele-

No idea how else to ask, but can you post some good lunch meals? I have to take my lunch and often run out off good ideas!!

Thanks so, Karin

Anonymous said...

Ok, I had to post since I noticed the Broccoli slaw popping up alot and it seemed like a good idea except that I can't stand coleslaw. To even say it sort of grosses me out. Michelle reassures me that "it is really good". So tonite I saute it with a little onion and olive oil and add a little lemon pepper and sea salt. And goodness she was right! I love this stuff! It tastes better than normal broccoli and is sooo filling! The pkg says 1 1/4 cups is 4 blocks I think! Crazy! I went back for more! I served 1 1/4 cups (1/2c blk) of it with (3p blks) chicken tenders with Cacciatore sauce (1/2c blk) ( in a jar at TJ's) and a green salad w/ tomato and avocado(1/2c blk) and 8 strawberries (1 blk) and 1 Bija Dark chocolate covered omega truffle (1/2c blk)(at new leaf) for desert! 3 blks total. yep, yummy! I did go over a little in fat blks. Can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow! Thanks Michelle!
Rowena

michele said...

Rowena,
I am so proud of you that you tried my new fav...and I am even more excited that you liked it! I think you may have meant that 1 1/4 cup is about 1/4 block? 1 1/4 cups has 2 or 3 grams of carbs (I am going off memory here). So you can have ALOT! Thanks for posting girl!

Anonymous said...

Yep I meant 1 1/4 cups is 4 grams of carb so aprox 1/2block. Thanks for clarifying! I just finished the leftovers and added in mushrooms! Yumm.


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central