Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Eating Out on the Zone

Eating out on the Zone is a particular challenge for some, and is a dilemma which I personally face frequently because my family owns restaurants (notice the shameless plug). While the ideal is eating your pre-measured portions of low fat proteins and cheeses and a bounty of fresh veggies, that is not always realistic. Eating out and maintaining the Zone is very do-able. I think most restaurants are quite willing to make the substitutions necessary if you ask. The pictured meal is one I ordered and made some simple changes to in order to make it Zone friendly.

Substitute salad with olive oil vinaigrette instead of french fries.
The plate came with two chicken tacos. I placed all the chicken and lettuce into one of the tortillas in order to cut my carbs in half.
Chicken Tacos
1 tortilla (2 blocks carb)
Approximately 3 oz chicken (3 blocks protein)
Sprinkling of cheddar cheese (1 block fat)
Side salad with olive oil (1 block carb/ 2 blocks fat)
Post thoughts and tips to comments.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was this picture taken at Aldo's Harbor Restaurant in the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor? What a great place!

Anonymous said...

Shameless

Shari Baby said...

Thats the meal I usually eat when going out. I order soft chicken tacos. With only chicken and sliced avocado. No cheese. yummy and pretty close to Zoned. Thanks Michelle....plus I LOVE Aldos!!

Anonymous said...

Michele, I noticed the Aldos menu you have showing displays an extensive wine list? I think I'll need a reservation for two! How is wine on the zone?

Unknown said...

so is the chocolate molten lava cake at Sestri's on the Zone also??...

michele said...

Kelly- actually you can drink wine on the Zone...you just have to count it as your carbs!

Annie- I plead the fifth on the chocolate molton lava cake other than to say...some things are worth cheating for.

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog and love it. I have some college athletes on the Zone over the summer and I turned them on to this blog for extra ideas. Thanks so much, also the color pictures help alot. Kids who normally don't cook much find it really helpful to see what their meal should look like, especially the portion size. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I bought two big beautiful eggplants just 'cause they were pretty but now I don't know what to do with them. Maybe just grill them? I love eggplant but not such a hot cook. Any ideas in keeping with the zone?

michele said...

k9thatbites-
Thanks for the comments and I am so glad you are finding the blog helpful! I would love to hear the results your athletes are getting with this.

Gloria-
There are a couple options that come to mind...I would slice it fairly thin and brush with a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper and grill until tender. Another idea would be eggplant parmesan which would be pretty easy to zone. Eggplant, marinara sauce of your liking, spices and mozzarella cheese. Let me know what you come up with!


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central