Monday, August 10, 2009

Meatballs with Peach, Tomato & Basil Salad


I was really happy with how these meatballs turned out! They had a sweet nutty taste that paired really well with tonight's salad!

Meatballs:
1 lb. lean ground beef, 1 egg, 1/4 C pecans (blended in food processor until fine), 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce, 3 cloves minced garlic, 1/4 C minced shallots, 2 T chopped parsley, 1/4 tsp. sage, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, fresh ground pepper, and fresh ground nutmeg. Combine all ingredients. Spray non-skillet with olive oil spray. Form ground meat mixture into balls and heat on all sides over medium heat until brown.

Peach, Tomato & Basil Salad:
This recipe was sent to me by Sabrina Delk of CFSCC. I tried it tonight & it was wonderful!
1 fresh peach, sliced, 1 sliced tomato, 2 T roughly chopped basil, juice from 1/2 fresh lime.
Place tomatoes & peaches over a bed of arugula and mixed greens. Squeeze lime juice over the top and season with salt and pepper. Thank you Sabrina!

This was about a 3 block paleo dinner! Enjoy!

3 comments:

sarah said...

This looks yummy too!
Kelly, I made your salmon with capers and tomato salad last night...it was delicious and super easy. I have gone 2 days paleo....meals are pretty easy but snacks are harder without dairy. Any suggestions?

Kelly Greco said...

Hi Sarah! I know... paleo snack are hard. I found that it took some planning ahead. Here's my list of protein choices: hard boiled eggs, turkey/beef jerky, 1oz tuna snack packs, lunch meats, sausages (the gluten free from TJs or Aidells... I cook these up in advance and save for snacks), and lastly ProZone shakes made with almond milk. I'll add fresh fruit and fat to balance it out... usually nuts or almond butter. Sometimes I'll grab a bar (Think Thin or Larabar) in a pinch...
Hope that helps! Two days is GREAT! Let me know how you like it?? :)

Anonymous said...

I tried this with half turkey half pork. The mix seemed a little loose? But yummy.
-miriam


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central