Friday, August 21, 2009

Stuffed Peppers & Zucchini


I finally used the Zucchini I got from a friend with a garden (thanks, Narine)! I highly recommend finding a friend with a garden! Home grown veggies are the best!!!

I've been wanting to try a recipe like this for quite awhile. So glad I did. It was really tasty. Even the kids liked it (well one kid liked it, the other thought the idea of stuffing a "vegetable" with perfectly good meat was just absurd!).

I used two small, roundish, home-grown zucchini, and two bell peppers, cut length-wise. Scoop out center of zucchini and reserve (save 1/2 from each). Clean out center of pepper, too.

Stuffing ingredients:

1 lb. ground pork sausage
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C sweet red pepper, diced
1/2 can (8 oz. diced tomatoes)
2 T chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. onion powder
zucchini reserve

I sauteed the garlic in 1 tsp garlic infused olive oil (yes, I like garlic), then added the red pepper and zucchini reserve. In a separate pan I browned ground pork sausage, and added the garlic, pepper mixture. Then I added the diced tomatoes (I haven't cracked a can of diced tomatoes since I gave up pasta!). Once everything was mixed well, I stuffed the peppers and zucchini.
This was a perfect amount of stuffing to fill the 8 halves. Each zucchini half or pepper half is about 2 blocks (fat and protein). I had one of each, plus 1 1/2 C green salad, for a substantial 4 block Paleo dinner! I am so glad there are leftovers... Have a great weekend!









3 comments:

Trixie said...

WOW Kelly that looks so tasty!! When buying the ground sausage,what do I ask my butcher for? Does it have to be lean etc?

Kelly Greco said...

Hi Trixie. If you could get lean sausage, that would be great! This recipe would actually work fine with lean ground beef, or ground turkey, too. Hope you like it!

Trixie said...

Okay,thanks Kelly!


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central