Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Beef Stew

Beef stew has always been "comfort food" to me. There is not really much to it, so it is pretty easy to Zone. I did replace potatoes with parsnips because I like the flavor. I cooked 8 oz of lean stew beef in a pot with 3 cloves garlic. Add about 2 1/2 cups water and 1 packet of beef bouillon. Add 1 cup carrots sliced, 1 cup celery sliced, 1/2 cup parsnips cut into cubes, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and cook over low heat for 2 hours.
Beef Stew and Salad- 3 blocks
2 cups of stew-( 2 blocks carbs/ 3 blocks protein/ 1 block fat)
2 cups mixed green salad (1 block carbs/ 2 blocks fat)
Post thoughts to comments.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy. I also love stew this time of year! Parsnips... what a great idea instead of potatoes. I also like turnips and rutabaga's in stews. Thanks for this Michele... this is going on the menu (and in my new crock pot).

Jonny V. said...

God that stew looks awesome. My question is though, how do you really "zone" it? I have always wondered this about things like stew, since when you take a bowlful, even if you measure two cups, you don't really know exactly how much meat, vegetables, etc. you have in there. is this just one of those "doesn't need to be exact" meals?

Speaking of exact, I had breakfast for dinner tonight:

2 slices turkey bacon fried in a little olive oil
2 eggs
1 cup oatmeal with 2 tsp. maple syrup

Jon

michele said...

Jon-
I measure soups and stews before I cook them. If I measure out the total blocks for the pot then i can guess fairly closely how many servings there will be. There is no way to be exact on these, but if you are putting in good ingredients you should be okay...plus they make great leftovers for lunch!!!

Tia Vivi said...

I make microwave stews at work almost everyday and I'm guaranteed exact proportions.

In a large glass bowl:
Beef or chicken stock
3 oz. ground beef
1 Tbsp garlic salsa
______ microwave three min.(high)

2 Tbsp cooked barley
1.5 c green beans
2.5 c swiss chard (after cooked)
___ steam these in microwave about 2 minutes on 70% setting.

Combine greens and barley in cooked beef with broth and microwave for an extra minute. Drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil and chopped parley and fresh onion.

It's light, delicious, 3 BLOCKS and pretty easy.

I change up the carbs ... zucchini, spinach, collards, even oatmeal.

HAPPY COOKING!

Anonymous said...

Perfect for a cold December night!

michele said...

Good tips Tia Viva! Thanks for passing that along!


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central